Thursday 15 November 2012

We are not so unique

Working as a hygienist I pretty much do the same thing every day. Even though I like to address each person's issues with a solution tailored to them, I am still only dealing with a small part of the body so there is a lot of overlapping of information given and received (as a small side note, you have to forgive me when I forget if I've just asked you a question and have to re-ask it - my brain starts to blur the answers together after a while, especially if I am multitasking). This leads to the topic of my blog today: commonalities that make us not so unique! Sometimes I think that some of my clients may feel embarrassed or feel the need to apologize when certain things happen, but they don't realize that it happens to pretty much everybody during a hygiene visit. I felt like highlighting these today...just maybe this will make you feel more relaxed at your next appointment...

My favourite answer to the flossing question "how often do you floss"? "Not as much as I should" I get this answer about 90% of the time from my clients. I think it's funny because it can mean anywhere from never, to every day. So my follow up question always has to be "and how often is that?"

Number one reason for not flossing: "laziness"

Dental dyslexia (my term):  getting mixed up in rights and lefts when you are lying back in the chair (in other words, the hygienist says turn to your left and you turn your head to the right)

the Dental Itch: body parts suddenly becoming itchy because you have to be still. The nose is the most common victim of this phenomena, though pretty much any part of the face or head are susceptible. I even fall victim to this from time to time. Sometimes I even resort to taking my gloves off to address the area of concern.

the Dental diet: I would say about 30% of my clients come to their appointment hungry, while about 40% have just eaten and are apologizing for not being able to brush before the appointment. This is all due to living a busy life...I am just grateful that you are able to fit me in to your schedule!

Well, that is my list for now. The lesson in all of this? Don't be embarrassed at your dental hygiene cleaning. We've pretty much seen and dealt with it all before. And for those truly unique occurances, well you just made our day 100 times more interesting!

6 comments:

  1. Great start to confessions! I have fallen victim to just about every common dental hygiene habit! Honestly made me feel better that I'm not alone. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this post. you have mentioned in your post are very interesting. Regular dental hygiene proves an effective way of keeping yourself and your family worlds away from tooth decay and gum diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some in the dental community who say that flossing is not necessary and so say that it is harmful. Thanks for the great article.


    http://www.bruceehowelldds.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. 487 Dental Hygienist Salary provided anonymously thru personnel. What earnings does a Dental Hygienist earn in your vicinity?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It needs to be open conveniently and offer extended and emergency services to its patients. Low cost, affordable dental treatment and maintenance visits to the dental office are equally important factors. Dubai Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must also understand that varied CNA Jobs also require execution of different types of duties and no two types of facilities have identical duties. gestational diabetes arbys

    ReplyDelete